Małgorzata (Gosia) Różalska
Some people might ask me: “Can’t you ever be serious?”. I answer: “No.”
“The Girl, who came out of nowhere and is doing whatever the hell she wants”. /Nick Byrne
- Małgorzata Różalska (Gosia/Róża) – improviser and teacher from the north of Poland. Doing improv since 2004, as one of the first in Poland. Besides living improv life, she graduated Film Directing in Gdynia Film School, Photography at Academy of Fine Arts in Gdańsk, and Cultural Studies at University of Gdańsk – and she loves mixing all her arts with improv. She owns a company called Rozaart with her sister, she records Kreatura Podcast, she writes rozalska.com blog about improv, and she’s a Polish improv-Mama.
- She’s in an international Ohana group, and she’s conquering the world, starting with Improvention in Canberra, Seattle International Festival of Improv, IMPRO Amsterdam, IMPRO Berlin, Sacrebleu! in Strasbourg, Mt. Olymprov in Athens, Big IF in Barcelona, TILT Festival in Tallinn, Improvember in Munich, IMPROSALENTO, Sofia International Improv Fest, WIP Workimprogress (Italy), Improfestival Mainz, Improfest in Cracov, Improdrom in Bydgoszcz, JO in Toruń. She’s been teaching, among others, in Australia, Spain, Italy, Bulgaria, Slovenia, Belgium, Germany, Netherlands, Denmark, Estonia, Latvia and Poland. She’s a big nerd, and she’s been working with teachers from all over the world and she’ll never stop.
- In improv she seeks for freedom, adventure, and she always wants more. In workshops she believes, that improv can make people fight the feeling of Not Being Good Enough, and show them, that all the creativity and spontaneity we have in us, let us shine.
- She loves working with new people, and create with them, so don’t hesitate if you’d like to contact her. Oh, and she lives in Gdynia/Gdańsk in Poland. It’s by the sea. Best place.
What do I do?
photos: Serena Offidani, Alicja Trojnar
- I improvise. I’m in international improv group Ohana, and we work together across whole Europe. In Poland I perform with 7 Women of Different Ages, improv/dance/beatbox project Muzalians, in a duo/trio Abordaż, I direct Young Improv.
- I teach. I’ve been teaching improv for around 13 years at the University of Gdańsk, and I’ve led thousands hours of workshops, for stage, for individuals, and for business.
- I record Kreatura Podcast, about improvisation, comedy, film and art.
- I write articles for my Blog and all the places that ask for it.
- I work with different aspects of culture. I have a Master’s Degree in two specializations (audiovisual and cultural) in Cultural Studies at the University of Gdańsk.
- I take photos. I graduated Academy of Fine Arts in Gdańsk (Poland), and Cyklop studio in Gdańsk.
- I make films. I graduated Feature and Documental Directing at the Gdynia Film School.
- I do makeup. I graduated Film, and Theatre Makeup in Magnus Film in Sopot (Poland).
INTERNATIONAL FESTIVALS WHERE I PERFORMED (P) AND TAUGHT (T):
IMPRO Amsterdam, Netherlands 2019 (P/T)
IMPROFEST, Kraków, Poland 2019 (T)
IMPROVEMBER, Munich, Germany 2019 (P/T)
IMPRODROM, Bydgoszcz, Poland 2019 (P/T)
TILT, Tallinn, Estonia 2019 (P/T)
IMPROFESTIVAL SALENTO, Gallipoli, Italy 2019 (P/T)
JO! INTERNATIONAL IMPROV FESTIVAL, Toruń, Poland 2019 (P/T)
SACREBLEU!, Strasbourg, France 2019 (P)
IMPRO BERLIN, Germany 2019 (P/T)
VIA VISEGRAD IMPROV APPLIED CONFERENCE, Budapest, Hungary 2019 (P/T)
IMPROFESTIVAL KARLSRUHE, Germany 2019 (P/T)
IMPROVENTION, Canberra, Australia 2018 (P/T)
BIG IF, Barcelona, Spain 2018 (P/T)
IMPRODROM, Bydgoszcz, Poland 2018 (P)
MT.OLYMPROV, Athens, Greece 2018 (P)
IMPROFESTIVAL MAINZ, Germany 2018 (P/T)
WIP, WORKIMPROGRESS, Piombino, Italy 2018 (P/T)
IMPROFEST, Kraków, Poland 2017 (P/T)
IMPRODROM, Bydgoszcz, Poland 2017 (P)
SOFIA INTERNATIONAL IMPROV FESTIVAL, Bulgaria 2017 (P/T)
JO! INTERNATIONAL IMPROV FESTIVAL, Toruń, Poland 2017 (P)
SEATTLE INTERNATIONAL FESTIVAL OF IMPROV, USA 2017 (P)
MT.OLYMPROV, Athens, Greece 2017 (P)
IMPRO AMSTERDAM, Netherlands 2017 (P)
BIG IF, Barcelona, Spain, 2016 (P)
“Off stage Gosia is one of the sharpest improv minds in the world, always studying but never replicating, she takes what she has learned, combines it with her already vast knowledge and applies it in new ways to her craft. Which, of course, feeds into her on stage work. On stage, Gosia is fearless, bold, hilarious, compassionate and works with a clarity that inspires trust in all around her. If you are an improviser of any level, Gosia has so much to offer seek her out and discover the joy she brings.”
“Gosia is so well respected as a teacher and performer and is just the best. I always have fun playing with her and she’s such a giving performer. She brings such joy and warmth and you can’t help but to smile when you’re around her!”
“I met Gosia about 3 years ago (2017) but it immediately felt like I’ve known her for a lifetime. As we met at the festival in Athens I was not only blown away by her talent and mind, but by the talent and hearts and minds of the people that she had taught and directed in Gdansk for years before I’d even known about her. There was, and still is, something very special about the talent that she has in her possession as an improviser, teacher and director. I love that we are friends and colleagues and I can’t wait to walk on stage with you or share a beer and a hug with you, for every single time we have more of those in our future.”
“In the 4 years that I’ve known Gosia, I’ve played and performed with her, studied from her, and taught alongside her countless times. Gosia expresses herself vibrantly in her words, face, and movements on stage. She is direct and uncompromising as a teacher and a leader. And she has an instinctual comic timing that is a pleasure to watch and exciting to play against.”
“The fact that Gosia is talented and not afraid to put in the hard work is what makes her so good. I never met anyone so eager to keep learning and improving her allready generous skills. She is super professional and creates save environments in which people can fully develop their skills and knowledge.”
“Gosia’s workshop on characters and the narrative process was illuminating, profound, and yet at the same time easy to understand and to achieve strong results. I’ve been doing improvised story narrative work for over 15 years and Gosia’s workshop showed me something new and wonderful. Gosia as a teacher has clarity, openness, and positiveness for improvisers at any level of experience.”
“Gosia has the true heart of an improviser. She mixes her love of play and the passion to improve the art. Her approach to improv is both admirable and inspiring. A leader in the making.”
“I’ve had the pleasure of working with Gosia in both a corporate and arts setting. I have found her to be creative, considerate and always looking for ways to help each project improve and thrive in new ways!”
“I did a show with Gosia in Germany. We were the only people who didn’t speak German, and the show was mainly in German. I’m pleased that it was her that I was with in this situation, because she’s an incredible improviser and a lovely person.”
“Gosia has two qualities I like and expect from a fellow improviser: curiousness and theoretical thirst.”
“Gosia changed so many lifes! She started a whole improv wave in Poland that cannot be stopped anymore. She is such a bright light on the stage and really influential aside the stage as well! Everybody loves to have her at their festivals and that is deserved.”