Check out what’s been going on in my improv world lately!
V 2020: Busy week! Performing online:
- 17.05 Dirty Planet: Signs of Life | In English VOL. 6 (Hungary)
- 18.05 Shelter With Friends III (Ireland)
- 19.05 10 minutes with Jay Sukow (USA)
- 23 05 Love in Times of Corona with IGLU (Slovenia)
Yesterday we played with Jay and it was so much fun. Jay is wonderful, and a person who I can learn so much from (can you imagine one of his teachers was Steve Carell??), so I’m really happy and grateful I had this joy and privlege to play with him! And that’s what he said: ” I had an amazingly fun time improvising “10 Minutes with Gosia Róża Różalska” Thanks to Declan Hannigan for the suggestion of “Using potatoes as a food or the basis of vodka. Discuss.” Stick around afterwards as we talk about art’s role in society, and how to get a boar out of your backyard. Gosia is so well respected as a teacher and performer and is just the best. I always have fun playing with her and she’s such a giving performer. She brings such joy and warmth and you can’t help but to smile when you’re around her!”
V 2020: Lockdown.
7 Women of Different Ages got nominated for Improv Rap Challenge, not improvised per se, but by improvisers. Thank you Grupa Ludzi. We nominate Slavic Party 7/24, Impy, Reset and IGLU.
IV 2020, HOME, POLAND
- Well, what can I say, we’re all locked down. All my classes at the University got cancelled, all shows were cancelled, for who knows how long. We can’t even go out for a walk, so all my improv activities moved online, and all my photos from them look like that. Zoom is our new best friend.
- But the international improv community doesn’t give up, so there is a lot happening in the virtual world, everyone is experimenting with performing, and teaching online, and when this whole crisis is over, we’ll be wiser with new tools.
- We had to cancel our Ohana meeting in Berlin, but we started meeting through video to work on specific topics that interest us, we started with productivity, ways to perform online, tools to play with sounds, and we’ll see what else.
- Till Easter I was a guest in interviews for Improv Generator from Moscow, by Josh Wilson, for Yes Finland by Trent Pancy, had a live talk about improv and business with Joanna Gdaniec, I also performed in a show organized by Grund Szinhaz from Budapest.
- I can’t give you details now, but soon I’ll be a guest of interview for Hong Kong, for Seattle, I’ll be teaching online for Berlin, I’ll be performing for Chicago, Ljubljana and Budapest. Things are happening, friends.
- I haven’t thought we would have to add time zones to our events on FB this soon.
III 2020, TVN, WARSAW, POLAND
- I was a guest of a Good Morning TVN tv show as the expert of improvisation, and I briefly introduced to people, who were mostly at homes already on home office, because the whole country… and the continent was getting shut down.
- You can take a look at the VIDEO HERE.
- You may ask “how did you get there?”, and I must say, I’m asking myself, too. They just texted me, invited, hosted, and somehow I was shy to ask in advance, and when I asked in a message afterwords, they never texted me back, as their one morning stand with me was over! We’ll never know.
I 2020, IMPRO AMSTERDAM, NETHERLANDS
- I was very happy to come back to this festival, and to be a part of the 25th(!) edition of it!
- I performed in the Late Night shows witj 7 Women of Different Ages, and I think I was talking about basketball for the first time since I finished my sports school whe I was, I don’t know, 13?
- I taught my “The Good, the Bad and the Ugly” workshop on a suuuper top floor of the theatre, walked there 3 times before I discovered the lift, so I used it do go down.
- I recorded my first two talks with guests for my brand new Kreatura podcast, both wonderful, Stacey Smith and Joe Bill, and I’m so happy they didn’t hesitate for a second and accepted my invitations, even if the podcast had zero episodes at that moment, so they just trusted me. And did great, of course.
- I went with Kell to this gin oldchool place that I love since Jochem took me there some time ago!
END OF THE YEAR 2019
- I finally had a chance to play with this super original and intelligent trio of Impy in Warsaw, and of course it was fun, weird and dark! I’m so happy it happened. And after that, I came home and cooled down after this year packed with hard work, wonderful people, adventures and things I never imagined I would be doing in my life. I’m very grateful. And now I’m resting, spending time with my family, and playing with our dog. Ok, I’m also working on a podcast, which is something totally new for me, which is a challenge for the year 2020!
photos: Serena Offidani
XII 2019, ROME
- Nothing makes a Polish girl happier in the darkest moment of the year, than to take her to warmer places with good food. Thank you Giacomo Cappucci, my Friend!
- I happily performed two shows, with Improvvisazione Teatrale Bugiardini, Andrea, Francesco and Giacomo – and with Giacomo, a duo show One Day, because we were born on 23…10…1987! Such lovely, talented and warm-hearted Italians.
- I had the pleasure to teach two workshops – one for a new group, so we analyzed each improviser to help them support and encourage each other in their work, and the second, longer, my film-style „The Good, the Bad and the Ugly”. And finally, I had some time to walk around Rome and eat a pizza!
XI 2019, IMPROFEST, KRAKÓW, POLAND
- What can I say, Improfest is just epic. Look!
- I watched 6 hours of shows every day, I taught my „The Good, the Bad and the Ugly” workshop, I saw Baby Wants Candy for the first time, and I left the party early, and woke up early, because I messed up my teaching hours. And I helped with social media, which I find important – quite often festivals’ social media are active before the festival, then they are dead during festival, there is one „thank you” post after, and half a year later there come some photos!
photo: Jacek Smoter
X 2019, IMPROVEMBER, MUNICH, GERMANY
- First of all – Halloween party with improvisers!
- Great solo show by Jacob Banigan watched! Also, first time when we taught a series of workshops for women as 7 Women of Different Ages – my part was Woman who Run with the Wolves, so working on female protagonists from point of view of archetypes and screenwriting. Also, super fun show with 7 Women of Different Ages – a scene of writing a letter to mother will stay with me, and that amazing feeling, when we started the show with a useless, boring scene, that happened to be a great last scene of the show. Good lesson! Also, a lot of pretzels!
X 2019, PODAJ PAGAJ, GDAŃSK, POLAND
- Time to celebrate and push our local improv community, and see what’s happening currently. I directed mixed cast for „Bonnie and Clyde” show, watched some others, and in the end we had a moderated (by me) discussion on how can we help the local community grow – I wrote an article about it, which you can read HERE.
photos: Wojtek Rojek
photos: Przemysław Obarski
X 2019, IMPRODROM, BYDGOSZCZ, POLAND
- I performed with 7 Women of Different Ages with wonderful Karolina Pańczyk as our Guest.
- I took Solo Improv workshop by Jill Bernard (and also saw her brilliant performance for the first time!) and tried my first little piece, exploring the idea of crossing the line of reality and dreams. Accidentaly I taught Jill a new English word, which is „oneiric” – that’s what happen when you take a fancy Polish word and make it sound English and somehow you’re right.
- I taught a workshop called „Introduction to Long Form”, and for the first time someone decided to leave their improv group after my workshop, and start something new and inspiring, we had a long conversation later, and in the end that was a good thing!
- I want to mention my favourite quote of the festival, from Phil Lunn’s show, introducing a song about previous relationship:
„He was annoying me. I think I annoyed him too. That’s a part of having personality. If you’re not annoying anyone, it means you’re not saying anything.”
IX 2019, IMPROV COMEDY RIGA, LATVIA
- With Kaspars Silavs, Anna Pauksa, Luize Beca and Josh Wilson we performed a very funny and crazy show – first half was a classic „Livingroom”, and the second was based on that day’s workshops, about consequences of what people believe.
- I taught with pleasure a full weekend of workshops, divided in three topics chosen by Organizers:
– „Mindf*cks”, improv crossfit, games messing up our brains.
– „The Good, the Bad and the Ugly”, film way of building characters in shades of grey.
– „All by myself”, precious moments, when we are alone on stage.
- I also learned, that in Riga they have a very specific mechanism to open the main doors to old blocks of flats which make you feel like in an escape room, BUT it’s an enter room!
IX 2019, TILT FESTIVAL, TALLINN, ESTONIA
- I taught a workshop + directed a mixer team of „Bonnie & Clyde” (what a great team that was!) which was the Opening Show of the festival, so NO PRESSURE!
I performed with my 7 Women of Different Ages with Phil Lunn at the piano as a Closing Show of the festival, so NO PRESSURE EVEN MORE.
- The shows were in an old church!
- I also had a huge trouble with my flights, but because I saw Paweł Pawlikowski at the airport I thought „If he could got an Oscar, I can get to Tallinn before 10AM”, and then a man at another airport was chasing me like in films shouting, that they will open the closed gate for me. In the end I made it, but couldn’t open the storage on a plane…
- Also I fell of the bed in the morning before even saying good morning, and Ella, my roommate jumped to me asking „ARE YOU OK, CAN I LAUGH?”
- And I saw a solo musical by Stacey Smith for the first time, and I loved it.
- Oh, and before our 7 Women show Trojka from Latvia was showing life in Poland, where you can die of starvation because „everything is closed on Sunday”, so later we played a scene showing, how there are no buses, no cars, and in general it’s not safe to leave the house…on Sundays in Latvia. Hihi.
IX 2019, DOLi FESTIVAL, WROCŁAW, POLAND
- DOLi was a unique festival for at least two reasons – accordiong to the slogan „DOLi connects the dots” it was gathering improvisers from different groups and different cities to play shows together and challenge themselves. Second thing was that two main days were at the Academy of Theatre Arts, which may lead to thinking, that theatre academies are starting to treat improvisation as a form of theatre, and not only „basic acting excersised for 1 year students”, as we could hear here and there. I would also add third thing, which would be the scripted show od sketches written and played by improvisers. (and it was funny!)
- During the festival I had the pleasure to perform No Exit show, with unity of time, space and action, so in short words a scene without cuts, and without leaving the room – so I got stuck with lovely Paweł Najgebauer, Artur Jóskowiak and Tomek Marcinko.
The second show (it’s a good word) was The Small Game for Nothing, prepared and hosted by charismatic Maciek Buchwald, and it was SO SILLY, thank you.
VIII 2019, IMPROV CAMP, LIPUSZ, POLAND
- My classic improv workshop weekend in Kaszuby, the beautiful region of Polish lakes and woods, with bread and eggs streight from neighbours, and our lovely Host walking around the little town to walk the dog not when the dog wants, but… when the cat want, and now she walks with a dog and three cats, which probably makes her a witch in eyes of local community.
- The theme of this Improv Camp was Site Specific Improv, and we played scenes and stories of the whole surrounding, using the natural scenography and seeing how it resonates with our imagination as improvisers, and as the audience. We also had a night of playing scenes in the dark outside of the house, living beautiful moments under the clear night sky full of starts, saying goodby to friends, talking to gods, listening to Vikings preparing for battle… also during the weekend we naturally created the universum of Lipusz, finding connection between the scenes, and characters, and playing with all the unusual objects we could find around. And we got so into it, that we got burned by the sun a bit, because scenes outside were so fascinating… I love Improv Camps.
VIII 2019, IMPROSALENTO FESTIVAL, GALLIPOLI, ITALY
- There is no festival which would a dream like this one. End of August. South coast of Italy. Long workshops, three teaching in a CASTLE, showcase in different places in the Old Town.
- Going to the beach during breaks. Eating Italian food for a week. Organizers who take care of you on every step and bring you lunch boxes in the workshop lunch break. Advanced improvisers in your workshop, who not only dived into the process of Free Form, but also perform in the end all the things we worked on and were great.
- First time performing in a show which was also a Soundpainting with a whole jazz band, was played by all Italian-speakers, and basically WAS in Italian, and guess what – I don’t speak Italian. But I made it! The boat party while watching sunset over sea. Omar being happy with his Soplica. Final dinner as a POOL PARTY (they are not only in films!!) 3 wonderful Italian teachers, Fabio, Fabrizio, Francesco, who sing you Italian songs in the apartament you share. Ok, one who sings Sailor Moon. Every day.
VIII 2019, OHANA SUMMER WEEK, UKANC, SLOVENIA
- A whole week of work with Ohana, this time, among others, on Sex in improv, Personality tests for improvisers, Improv in different madia, Meta-improv formats, Swimprov, and may others!
VIII 2019, ICC THEATRE, COPENHAGEN, DENMARK
- For several days we were living in beautiful Copenhagen, riding bikes, playing shows in ICC Theatre, and preparing for the corporate workshop for I think 600, or 800 people with the whole team of teachers. We went on an island called Samso.
- There was mostly nothing, but a big music festival once a year. The idea was to teach outside, because everything was arranged in… tents, like in festivals, so imagine our facec when there was pouring rain a half an hour before the start. But it passed! Improvisers : Weather 1:0.
And while talking to Rob from Canada, I gave him some Polish mountain cheese, and he gave me his book about improv. Fair trade!
VII 2019, JO INTERNATIONAL FESTIVAL, TORUŃ, POLAND
- Another Polish Festival which I’m proud of, and another that is getting more and more international, and brigs the world to us.
- I was lucky to do something every day of the festival:
– I performed with 7 Women of Different Ages.
– I prepared, and performed „Babel” show with the internationalc cast, using our native languages, and sharing cultural backgrounds.
– I performed in Nick Byrne’s „Paralel” show.
– I taught the „Selfdirecting” workshop.
photos: Alicja Trojnar
VI 2019, MASTERCLASS WITH JONATHAN PITTS, MYŚLĘCINEK, POLAND
- Several days of work with Jonathan Pitts in the woods! We had to „close the main door, because the fox goes in and steals the food”. We saw him sneaking around.
VII 2019, WORKSHOP SEASON FINALE, GDAŃSK, POLAND
- I’ve been teaching at the University of Gdańsk for, I don’t know, 12 years, and every year the Season Finale is so exciting! This year 4 groups showed 4 different styles of improv, and the venue was exploding with people!
VI 2019, MUZALIANS SHOW, ZIELONA GÓRA, POLAND
- Not a festival, just a great improv / dance / beatbox show of Muzalians in Zielona Góra in Poland, and some cute photos of us. And with Władek, who’s a dinasour of comedy in Poland, who I haven’t seen for ages!
V 2019, IMPROV CAMP, LIPUSZ, POLAND
Ha! I think I messed up which theme was when, but anyway one of them was here, and looks like it was the Freeform camp really!
V 2019, IGLU THEATRE, LJUBLJANA, SLOVENIA
- We performed with Jus and Peter from IGLU, we rehearsed our distiopian duo with Peter, I taught a workshop „Mindf*cs” to Impro Liga, and „Simple Lovestory” to IGLU students, and I didn’t take any good photos!
IV 2019, FUNERAL OF LEE WHITE’S HAIR, RATIBORTHEATER, BERLIN, GERMANY
- A twisted evening of improv mixed with Lee getting rid of his long hair that he had for 20 years. Between some of the scenes the hairdresser was slowly cutting his hair, and in the end he was bold, and the hair was buried in the backyard of the theatre. My scene with Lee was scheduled as the last one (NO PRESSURE) and I wanted to do something for him, in all the scenes before he was taking care of others, and in the end he had a wish to direct all the old Star Wars where I would play all the parts. SO I DID.
IV 2019, POLISH IMPROV FESTIVAL „PODAJ WIOSŁO”, GDAŃSK, POLAND
- I performed with my old and my first improv group from times, when there was no improv in Poland – the group doesn’t exist for some years now, but we got together for this show.
photos: Wojtek Rojek
III 2019, SACREBLEU! IMPROV FESTIVAL, STRASBOURG, FRANCE
- Such a lovely festival, in such a beautiful city! With opening show and party in a vineyard!
- We performed with 7 Women of Different Ages as a late night show, and our guest was also lovely Elza Zeal.
III 2019, IMPRO BERLIN FESTIVAL, GERMANY:
- I love how much work you get in this festival. There is a one big cast put together from different countries, divided in different projects, and basically you perform every night for a week. When you’re working on a certain show, you have two days of rehearsals, and you perform it two nights in a row. The sad thing is, that every night the shows are at the same time, so when you’re performing, you can’t see others performing, but you know, life!
- I performed „Radioplay” twice, which could be watched, or just listened – we played four stories in a format of Supercene in different genres with a foley artist, who had a little mountain of gadgets to make sounds like in movies! The horror in quite Lovecraft style, and a story of a little, (not that) terrible girl will stay in my mind.
- I performed „Who’s there?” twice, which was a show starting with few pages of a scripted play that we received in envelopes after entering the stage, we got our characters, and then we improvised the rest of the play! Once we had a family drama, and the second time some dark, more surreal story between the worlds.
- I performed a short form night.
- I performed the After-show, and if you’re curious ask me what I did, when I asked the improviser from the audience, who was about to play with me „What is the character, that you always wanted to play, but never had a chance?, and he answered „nazi”!
- I taught a workshop which was a part of the BIF series, and a short look at my improv philosophy.
III 2019, OHANA MEETING, RAUENTHAL, GERMANY
- Another Ohana weekend full of work! And a beginning of my 3-weeks tour of not seeing home till the end of Sacrebleu!
III 2019, VIA – VISEGRAD IMPROV APPLIED CONFERENCE, BUDAPEST, HUNGARY
- We went with Bebe to participate in a Applied Improv conference and it was very interesting! We taught workshops – Bebe „Beauty is Ugly”, I taught „Selfdirecting”, we performed in a little show inspired by music, we took Andrew Hefler’s workshop, and a „Positive psychology” workshop, and we listened to very interesting conference speeches. And we drank some wine on a bench in a park with Randy.
II 2019, IMPROFESTIVAL KARLSRUHE, GERMANY
- That was one of the rare exaples of a festival with no weak show! Each one of them was entertaining and presenting different styles of improv on a high level. Pay attention to Improfestival Karlsruhe!
- I performed in a pre-show „Armando” style.
- I performed the „Spirited Away” Miyazaki style duo with Gael Perry, and Ariane Jay on a violin, and it was beautiful. After the show Lee White came to me and said „You made me cry. It’s ok, I like a good cry.”
- I took a workshop and performed a „Soundpainting” show directed by Omar Galvan and it blew my mind! I’ve never played anything like it, the cast was happy like kids, and Omar is a genius.
- I performed in „Four Rooms” by Lee White and did strange things with a frog.
- I performed in „Centrepieces” by Kiki Hohnen.
- I taught a „Mindf*cks” workshop.
- I taught „Women who run with the Wolves” workshop.
- I taught „I’m with you” workshop.
photos: Tom Kohler
I 2019, IMPRO EMBASSY WITH LEE WHITE AND BILLY KISSA, RATIBORTHEATRER, BERLIN, GERMANY:
- Dream trio! We performed with Billy Kissa from Greece, and Lee White from Canada (now Berlin) a show in two parts – first was just wild set of scenes, and second was a longer story, and I wanted just pack them both to my bag and take them home.
I 2019, IMPROV CAMP, LIPUSZ, POLAND
- This time worked on Freeforms, so extracting all the improv elements and tools, which we can use, if we are conscious of them, and someone says „Now just go and play”.
XII 2018, IMPROVENTION FESTIVAL, CANBERRA (+ MELBOURNE, SYDNEY), AUSTRALIA
- OK, come on, let’s stop right here for a moment. Australia. Damn Australia. Adventure of our life. So here I’ll just list what I did improv-wise, and later I will write a proper post about this 3-week trip.
- During Improvention Festival in Canberra I taught „The Good, the Bad and the Ugly” workshop, and I was surprised that so many people came to unknown girl from Poland, and it was great!
- I performed in Meastro.
- I hosted Maestro.
- I directed the finals of Maestro with Andrew Hefler.
- I performed with 7 Women of Different Ages and Billy Kissa.
- I performed in „Livin la impro loca” show by Matias Avaca with games in different languages.
- I performed in „Passengers” by Jonathan Briden.
- I performed in „Random” by Flavien Reppert.
- I performed in „Improvision” song contest.
- I took a workshop of „Kung fu” improv by improvisers from Tai Pei.
- I took a workshop about doors by Laura Doorneweerd
- I took a workshop of teambuilding by Joe Bill
- Also at the last day in Australia I performed 7 Women show in Sydney.
photos: Beata Różalska
XI 2018, BIG IF FESTIVAL, BARCELONA, SPAIN
- Very busy festival! It was a big thing for me to come back to my first international festival two years later and teach and perform with my group there! Especially because Noah (is he my guardian angel, or what?) was encouraging us with 7 Women of Different Ages to start applying to festivals!
- We performed with a wonderful Ella Galt – how lucky we are to be able to invite such tallented performes to play with us?
I taught three workshops there – „Women who run with the Wolves” about creating female protagonists, „The Good, the Bad and the Ugly” about building film-like characters that are no black nor white, and I prepared the „Bonnie & Clyde” Mixer show opening the festival! NO PRESSURE!
X 2018, PODAJ PAGAJ IMPROV FESTIVAL, GDAŃSK, POLAND
- I performed two shows – first was my Abordaż duo with Wiolka Walaszczyk, „The Crowd work” where we literally played with the whole audience, divided in three sectors and it was wiiiiild, but everyone wanted this to succeed, and everyone was so wonderful! And Muzalians show, so our group mixing improv, dance and beatbox, and both shows were a blast.
photos: Wojtek Rojek
photo: Przemysław Obarski
X 2018, IMPRODROM, INTERNATIONAL IMPROV FESTIVAL, BYDGOSZCZ, POLAND
- I performed with my Greek-French-Polish group The Allinghters, I took some terryifing musical workshops with Liz Peters and Joe Samuel from The Maydays and with Kasia Chmara, and I had a lot of fun.
IX 2018, IMPROV CAMP, LIPUSZ, POLAND
- Oh, I’m pretty sure the photo by the lake is from this Camp. This time we worked on narrative skills, and formats like Monoscene and No Exit, when you just have to play a story without edits.
VII 2018, MASTERCLASS WITH LEE WHITE, OSTROMECKO, POLAND
- Several days of work with Lee, and seeing his „15 minute of fame” where he plays with a member of the audience for the first time.
VI 2018, IMPROBUBBLE, BRUSSELS, BELGIUM
- I taught a workshop for ImproBubble students, „The Good, the Bad and the Ugly”, and we performed the „Meanwhile” show (in Harrods) with the local cast. Or it was the time, when we taught some improv for business with Kelly Agathos and Jochem Meijer, hard to remember!
VI 2018, MT.OLYMPROV FESTIVAL, ATHENS, GREECE
- Big, big thing! You know already, that I love this festival, but this was special – we performed with 7 Women of Different Ages + beloved Billy Kissa for the first time at the international festival abroad! We were happy, but terrified, but it went better than we could imagine (if you wanna see it, the VIDEO IS HERE), and we received so much positive energy from people, that we were literally crying. Also, you wouldn’t expect Charna Halpern to tell you, that „you were the highlight of the festival”, and you wouldn’t expect to hear from Nick Byrne right after leaving the stage „I want to see you all perfoming in my festival in Australia”… Our universe exploaded, and keeps expanding ever since.
- One more thing about our show, which we heard later and we find beautiful was, that after our show, more women signed up for improv workshops in Athens, and some of them who left before, came back!
- I took workshops with Charna Halpern, totally worth it, and we had a long talk about dreams, magic and dogs while walking around Acropolis.
- It’s been in general very busy festival, and I performed in „No Exit” show with Lee White, Nick Byrne and Sebastien Nunez.
- I perfomed also in „Four Rooms” by Lee White, show based on the movie with the same title.
- Finally, I performed in the last show, „Cute” by Nick Byrne.
- Did I tell you already, how I love this festival?
V 2018, INTERNATIONAL IMPROV AT HOOPLA THEATRE, LONDON, ENGLAND
- Adventure in London, meeting new people who I’ve seen only on social media, and performing with them in Hoopla Theatre – I knew only Victoria, David organized it all, while being in USA, and of course in the end it all went great!
IV 2018, POLISH IMPROV FESTIVAL „PODAJ WIOSŁO”, GDAŃSK, POLAND:
- At this festival I had a very nerdy task – I had a TED-style talk among three other speakers, about the improviser’s personality in their art, which I consider very important, to make general improv something more than „just improv”.
- I also did some small, veird things for festival’s social media, and, of course, spent some time with my improv friends, as you can see on the right.
photos: Wojtek Rojek
IV 2018, JOE BILL’S BIRTHDAY SHOW, COMEDY CAFE, BERLIN, GERMANY
- Did I tell you, that we became friends with Joe after the mixer show trauma? So I got invited to perform in his birthday show in Berlin, and I couldn’t refuse!
- And we did perform with a happy bunch of improvisers. I met Lee White, who will keep coming back to my adventures from now on, and Nick Byrne, who will be a cause of my biggest improv adventure in a few months! By now he already invited me to teach at his Improvention festival in Canberra, but I didn’t really believe that may come true.
- I will remember that moment, when in the apartament Joe was singing to tiny karaoke to „Bear necessities”, at late hour, and someone knocked to the door, and the most natural reaction for Lee, Nick and me was to hide in a bathroom and giggle, while Joe was assuring the neighbour that we’ll be quiet.
IV 2018, IMPROFESTIVAL MAINZ, GERMANY
- Here again I taught what I love purely – long worshops about film and improv! Three days with really advanced improvisers were my pleasure with the „Improv goes to Hollywood”.
- I performed a trio show in an antique shop, where the audience was moving with us around the place, we were picking up objects, and playing their stories. After that show I was called a player type of „mischievous fairy”. I also played in a kind of Maestro show, and I did not win!
IV 2018, IMPROV CAMP, LIPUSZ, POLAND
- This time the topic was „From Movies to Improv”, and we worked for the whole weekend on film inspirations, characters, stories, and dierctor’s and screenwriter’s tool that we can use in improv! Look how happy I was with the size of the notes.
III 2018, OHANA MEETING, RAUENTHAL, GERMANY
- Weekend full of working on improv with beautiful people from all around Europe!
I 2018, EASYLAUGHS, AMSTERDAM, NETHERLANDS
- With brilliant Easylaughs I performed three little shows, a trio with Jochem Meijer and Laura Doorneweerd
- With bigger cast we performed a story of a little Polish town NOT next to Bydgoszcz, called Rumia
- And we played a show in which every next scene had to be in a different language – and we started with Georgian.
I taught an open workshop „The Good, the Bad and the Ugly”, and coached Easylaughs (yes, I don’t believe that either).
I 2018, WIP WORKIMPROGRESS, PIOMBINO, ITALY
- That was something between improv festival, and huge improv camp. I taught 3-day workshop „Form Movies to Improv”, with a little showcase in the end (at I don’t know 1AM? 2 AM? And we weren’t even the last group! Italians don’t sleep!) I also performed a little Teachers’ show, and I had a translator in my workshop, because that’s obvious, that Italians want their workshops in Italian! Imagine me side-coaching scenes played in Italian. It worked.
photos: Wojtek Rojek
XI 2017, IMPROFEST, INTERNATIONAL IMPROV FESTIVAL, CRACOW, POLAND
- Ad Hoc is one of the oldest improv groups in Poland, and instead of breaking up (like my first group) they just keep growing every year, and I suppose have been to almost every Improfest, except of a year when I had to stay in Film School, and the BIG IF festivals that I attended.
- I taught a workshop as a part of „4 faces of improv” series for Polish improvisers, by Polish improvisers.
- I took workshops by Susan Messing and Rachael Mason.
- We performed with 7 Women of Different Ages with two guests, Wiolka and Karolina.
XI 2017, STATUS MAGAZINE INTERVIEW
- I still can’t believe it happened, but I had the BIG honor to be interviewed by Fena Ortalli for the „Status” Magazine, the only worldwide monthly magazine about improv! I was even on a cover, my goodness!! If you wanna know what I said in it, YOU CAN READ THE INTERVIEW HERE.
photo: Tomek Kamiński
X 2017, PODAJ PAGAJ FESTIVAL, GDAŃSK, POLAND
- We performed with Wiolka and Michał the Abordaż trio in a Harold style, and as they both are stand-up comedians, with a high and fun energy.
X 2017, IGLU THEATRE, LJUBLJANA, SLOVENIA
- I love them all, Vid, Jus and Peter in how different, yet brilliant they are as people, and as improvisers.
- We performed „Superscene”, where each of us set up and direct one scene, and after each round of scenes the audience was voting with clapping, which of them they want to see more. From Polish movie, to crazy sci-fi in space.
- I taught the „Selfdirecting” workshop for IGLU School’s students, I met other brilliant Slovenian improv friends like Sara and Mis, and we went on a trip to the nature wit Neza and Vid.
photos: Przemysław Obarski
X 2017, IMPRODROM, INTERNATIONAL IMPROV FESTIVAL, BYDGOSZCZ, POLAND
- Improdrom in general is that kind of festival, where you feel welcome, taken care of, and you want to be there every year. And it’s super professional. You can even see that in the pictures from shows! I performed with Ohana squad, Kasia, Sara, Liz, Alan, Timo, and I took Timo’s workshop.
IX 2017, SOFIA INTERNATIONAL IMPROV FESTIVAL, SOFIA, BULGARIA
- The start of my abroad Festival Teaching Adventure! I won’t forget, that Noah recommened me, and that Zlatin trusted me for the first time!
- I taught three workshops, „Selfdirecting” about using film director’s tools of working with actors in improv, „The Good, the Bad and the Ugly”, again a film style of building characters in shades of grey, and „Wild at Heart”, so tools to use in free forms!
- I performed three Teachers shows with Jochem Meijer, Stefan Pagels Andersen and Noah Levin, we decided to play „Livingroom”, „Speed Harold”, and „Objects”, where we were doing transitions taking one object to another scene. Great support and fun with these Gentlemen.
- And Bebe and Agnieszka were there, perfoming in mixer shows!
VIII 2017, IMPROFEST, GOTEBORG, SWEDEN
- To be percise, I went there for the pre-festival, to take worshops by Glenn Hall from Autralia, Anders Fors from Sweden, and Jason Geary from Australia, all very valuable!
- Worth adding, that was the only situation, when I decided to go to rollercoasters with the rest of the group, and it was TERRIFING – happy that I faced my fears, I’m good, no need to do that in the future.
VIII 2017, OHANA SUMMER WEEK, UKANC, SLOVENIA
- A whole week of working on different improv topics with our group of improvisers from all around Europe.
- We stayed in this beautiful place, on the edge of Slovenian national park.
photos: Przemysław Obarski
VII 2017, MASTERCLASS WITH VICTORIA BANG, OSTROMECKO, POLAND
- We worked with Victoria Bang from Sweden for several days in a beautiful palace of Ostromecko
- we performed for the first time as 7 Women of Different Ages in English, with an international guest!
VII 2017, JO – INTERNATIONAL IMPROV FESTIVAL, TORUŃ, POLAND
- In this festival I prepared a „Lotus” mixer show, recommended by Randy in Seattle just a moment before.
- I also was a judge for the second time of a Polish adaptation of Theatre Sports.
- I performed also with my Ohana friends who were teaching at the festival, Jochem Meijer, Alan Pakosz and Flavien Reppert, a free form!
VI 2017, SEATTLE INTERNATIONAL FESTIVAL OF IMPROV, USA
- This festival was a heaven for a improv nerd like me. And I met my favourite nerd in the world, Randy Dixon!
- The theme of the festival was „Power” which was exactly what I needed that moment.
- I’m glad I didn’t know almost anyone there, because if someone told me about all these people in advance, I would be intimidated, and in that case I was just acting like myself.
- During the whole week we had whole days of workshops (love that!), two days about Viewpoints, another two about Theatre of the Oppressed, next ones with Randy on the main theme, and we were performing every night (one night I was on stage since 19.00 to 1.00 in three shows in a row!)
- I performed in main „Power Shows” which were the result of our workshops, I was judging Theatre Sports, I performed in these too, and in different short form shows. Oh, and I performed in „Lost in Translation” show, where we could only speak our native languages, and that worked great. The other half of the cast performed in their „worst language”, which was very fun to watch!
Also, during the festival I heard sentence „Wow, you made Randy laugh!” which had to mean something nice.
- This 8000km journey each way was another mile stone for me. Going alone, to the „Power” festival this far away from home, to people from Reunion Island, Canada, Island, Australia, everywhere, who I didn’t know, to play and learn things I never tried, and yet be who I am. In some way that was the most symbolic moment in my improv journey, and understanding who I am, and where do I wanna go with my life.
- The day after the festival we were sitting with Sinimaria from Finland by the water, and I asked „Why do we already feel frustrated with going back to our places, like there is no people to do the things we did here, why do we feel alone?”, and she turned her big eyes to me and said „Because we want more.”
VI 2017, MT.OLYMPROV FESTIVAL, ATHENS, GREECE
- I instantly fell in love with this festival, the vibe (Improvibe!), the organizers, the food, the weather. And we had a room with Bebe, Agnieszka, Kasia and Alicja with a tarrace where we could welcome the sun before going to sleep, and the Acropolis view from the other window, come oon!
- I took a workshop by Joe Bill (USA) for the first time, and enjoyed his philosophy a lot, I still quote that worshop. Joe is a big part of story of this festival, because also I took part in a mixer show that he set up (I’m saying set up, no to blame him for what happened on stage haha), and we were supposed to play scenes starting with the first suggestion, and then switch languages between native, and English, but of course play like you understand. Long story short, that’s my mixer trauma. Suggestion was „dog”, and EVERY scene was about that, and very fast it turned to DOGGY STYLE, and ended with DOGS LITERALLY FUCKING on stage, and I was trying to keep my face together, while looking at it from a side. . Here you can see my face when I spoke Polish and improviser responded „I don’t understand what you say DOG”.
- My second show removed the trauma, but I must admit I was a bit scared – by something else – invited cast was brilliant, and what if I fuck it up, and noone will ever invite me again? Who never had these thoughts, throw the stone first. Also the format was really unique and unpredictable – it was inspired by a video (vhs) game „The Nightmare”, and was based on a recording of some Dark Guy on a screen giving us stage tasks, but the point was, that the video couldn’t be paused, so you never knew when would he appear again and what will you have to do! Great adventure. And they invited me again, so I didn’t fuck it up!!
- As I said, Joe is appearing in different points of this festival, so we played in this together. But the last point happenes to be most important. After the mixer show I decided to never talk to him, because I was embarrased of what he had watch on stage. But during the party on a street I was waiting for someone and I was standing alone, and he stood next to me and I thought „Oh no, don’t talk to me”, but he opened his mouth and on this little Athens’ street a surprising friendship started, which makes me very, very happy!
photos: Wojtek Rojek
IV 2017, POLISH IMPROV FESTIVAL „PODAJ WIOSŁO”, GDAŃSK, POLAND
- I remember this festival mostly, because I became a meme, which was a reaction for bad jokes. Just first approach to play some kind of variation around theatre sports at a Polish festival. I performed in a Grand Finale too, but I don’t really remember it.
IV 2017, 7 WOMEN OF DIFFERENT AGES, GDAŃSK, POLAND
- Oh this is another pin on the map ot this journey. First show, when we played in this team, with Bebe and Agnieszka from here, and Alicja with Kasia accepted our invitation to come from Bydgoszcz and play this one show… and since then I stopped experimenting with inviting different women to play, and a project turned to the road of becoming a dedicated group, who didn’t know yet how important it would become for us. Look at us!
III 2017, OHANA MEETING, RAUENTHAL, GERMANY
- Weekend full of working on improv with improvisers from all over Europe.
II 2017, INTERNATIONAL IMPROV WORKSHOPS AT THE UNIVERSITY OF GDANSK, POLAND
- This was a cool moment of bringing several international teachers, Sinimaria, Enna-Matilda and Markus from Finland, and Laura and Jochem from Amsterdam to teach in my local community, and the first international show like this, to show in practice the elements taught in workshops on stage!
I 2017, IMPRO AMSTERDAM, NETHERLANDS
- Here we performed with Sara, Laura, Alan, Timo and Alex the format that we put together and rehearsed durinh Ohana Summer Week. The show was called „Sidekicks” and was a super fun, yet challenging format inspired by the play „Rosenkrantz and Guildenstern are dead” by Tom Stoppard and was exploring the concept of putting the epic action in the backround, and meaningless Sidekicks in the front. Loved it.
XI 2016, BIG IF FESTIVAL, BARCELONA, SPAIN
- Daaamn, my first international festival! Taking my first workshops abroad in English – I was learning from Liz Peters, Kaci Beeler and Jay Sukow. And first performing abroad in English. With Ohana we performed „Divine interventions”, with audience shouting certain words to make things happen immediately, and luckily, we got to dance with Jochem, and not for exaple sing. We’ve been introduced as improv illuminati by the MC.
- What is worth pointing, that was also the birth of a Polish Gang at international festivals, with some of my that-time-students saying „Oh cool, you’re going to festival to Barcelona? We’ll go with you!”, and with being in one room with Kasia Chmara, Beata Różalska so my sister, and Agnieszka Kuśmirak, and that was a start of our beautiful story. About the general concept of Polish Gang YOU CAN READ HERE.
VIII 2016, OHANA SUMMER WEEK, UKANC, SLOVENIA
- Best. Week. Ever. I said everything in THIS BLOG POST.
Besides that, that was my first time to rehearse with the international cast, in English, for the show at international festival!
Also my first time to do Swimprov in a lake. I highly recommend.
photo: Wojtek Rojek
IV 2016, PODAJ WIOSŁO FESTIVAL, GDAŃSK, POLAND
- At this festival I was teaching the „Simple Lovestory” workshop, and I think that’s the reason for what happened later. Before the final mixed show we were talking what do we wanna play with the cast. First improviser said „Why don’t we start with 3 serious, emotional scenes?” and the second improviser said „So I will join in 4th.” Anyway, the first one started the first scene, and I took it as a challenge and with an honest post-break-up scene made me and the audience cry. Because I like fun openings. BTW, the second guy entered in 4th scene.
III 2016, MY FIRST OHANA MEETING, RAUENTHAL, GERMANY
- That was a turning point of my improv story, and a beginning of a new era, that’s why I start it here. As people recall, first my notebook entered the room, and then me, and it stayed like this, as I keep taking tons of notes..
- The funny part of that story was, that three days before going I realized, that just now my ID expired… and that I got so used to traveling with ID, that I did’t realize my passport expired a while ago. The lady in city hall said I have to wait a week od two for a new ID, so I went to the passport office, where a lady said she can’t make me a passport without an ID. I asked „I have to go to Germany in three days, there are controls lately, what am I supposed to do?” and the lady said „Who doesn’t risk, gets nothing.” And I said „Ok, you convinced me” – and I went with no valid documents, and that’s how happy I was, noone asked… and the rest is history!